Sunday 16 December 2012

The Perch Creek Family Jugband, oh my



What a wonderful night, these guys are absolutely amazing, so so so much fun and totally inspiring, yes even me, who has had no previous instrument inclinations was drawn by the possibility of playing a banjo ukelele, I doubt that this would actually ever happen, my drive wasn't that long lasting, but there was a glimmer, a vision and a thought, pretty lovely for that moment.
Perch Creek were entertainment plus, saws, jugs, washboards were all played in a magnificent manner, there was totally enthusiastic and hot tap dancing on stage and on a table and a variety of other awesome moments.
Interestingly this wasn't the first time I have seen them, I did see them last year at the Dorrigo Bluegrass Festival and they were good but nowhere near as great as they are now, it feels like they have absolutely blossomed since then.  In the last year or so they have moved to Melbourne, toured Europe and played literally oodles of gigs, the result of all this is beautiful. They are raucous, funny, sweet and so delightful. I highly recommend checking out their intensive touring schedule and going to see them, children will also be totally awestruck and inspired by them, what a show.




As the last song was played to a whooping, laughing and delighted crowd, in swept the Samba gang fresh and excited and ready to, uh, dance, instead they swiftly grabbed me, waved to Scott and we headed to a very lovely unit a few doors down. A hysterical, crazy, ultra fun and not that late a night ensued. Riding my bike home through a sleepy darkened town, I marvelled at the wind in my ears, the stars above and of all the beautiful moments that had happened that night.

6 comments :

  1. it's so inspiring to hear your stories of music love, jay... it's something i'd like to inject back into my life. everything always feels richer when there's real music flowing. i do get to hear the flute a lot I suppose, playing the star wars theme... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Nic, so glad you are inspired by these stories, we are very lucky to have so much music and musical experiences all around us. But you do have the star wars theme flute style, that is totally wonderful, how gorgeous. xx

      Delete
  2. oh they sound so fun!. They were playing not far from me recently but wasn't able to go. damn! i'm feeling a little music deprived so enjoying reading your musical musings x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh no, well hopefully it won't be too long until they come your way again and you'll be the first in line. xx

      Delete
  3. they look awesome! I have heard a couple of their songs on youtube, I love em! these pictures are so beautiful, they really capture the atmosphere. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh they are (obviously), so glad you liked the pics, it was a pretty fun gig to photograph.

      Delete

thank you, thank you for sharing your words, thoughts, feelings. xx